Costa Ricans are among the happiest people in the world, according to scientific studies.
That explains how pura vida (pure life or good life) has come to be used by all Costa Ricans to greet, to encourage, and to convey all around friendliness.
Some other interesting facts about Costa Rica:
- Just about everyone there speaks English.
- The country has only two seasons – rainy and not as rainy.
- Temps are 80’s and 90s Fahrenheit year ’round.
- Every day of the year, sunrise and sunset are at 5:30.
- It’s easy to get sunburned due to its being closer to the equator.
- My husband and I used citronella wristbands and natural bug repellent, yet received fewer bug bites than many of our fellow travelers.
Take it from me — seeing a happy sloth close up definitely contributes to my sense of wellbeing!
Hover over or click photos for captions and to enlarge them.